My last few posts have been on Free Software, and today is no different. I am going to be sharing with you several easy things that you can do to support the Free Software movement this year.
- Install a GNU/Linux Distribution or FreeBSD- These two operating systems are the biggest and most successful Free Operating Systems. There are tons of Free programs for them, so you won’t have to deal with porting stuff or writing stuff yourself.
- Upgrade to a Free Web Browser- Firefox and Chromium are two good, mainstream, browsers that are compatible with the GPL.
- Try looking for Free Alternatives when you need a program- Instead of buying the latest suite of Microsoft Office, why don’t you install LibreOffice instead? When you need an email client, why don’t you consider Thunderbird instead of Outlook?
- Donate to the Free Software Foundation (FSF)- They fight censorship and manage a lot of Free projects.
- Contribute to the GNU programs- If you are a programmer, get in the game and start developing or improving GNU programs!
- Return Windows- If you buy a computer this year and it comes with Windows installed, install GNU/Linux or FreeBSD and return Windows lawfully according to their license. Let Microsoft & Friends let you now you’ve had enough!
- Remove Flash Player- Enough said.
Hopefully some of you will follow some of these tips this year and make the world a Free-er place!